Friday, October 4, 2013

Summer, continued...
San Francisco!

In August my husband Kevin and I flew to San Francisco where our daughter, Bethany, now lives. I was thrilled to share The Eye of the Whale during two big events at the Marine Mammal Center (the organization responsible for the whale rescue) - Marine Science Sunday and Race for the Seals.

 It was wonderful to connect with the many volunteers and people at these events. 
Here I am telling this group the story of The Eye of the Whale.


I am posing with two volunteers in front of the life-size humpback whale tail that I bring to events.


Here is my 'roadie' Kevin, my husband, setting up the pvc-pipe structure behind the humpback whale's tail in one of the Marine Mammal Center's classrooms.


I loved this dog's Killer Whale costume at the Race For the Seals! 
Many people and their dogs came in costumes.


I also gave a presentation and had a book signing at the Gulf of the Farallones National Marine Sanctuary. Here I am giving my slide presentation which includes photos of the actual whale rescue. 


I re-connected with James Moskito, the diver who was featured in The Eye of the Whale and 
his partner, Holly Drouillard, who was also a crew member on the Superfish.


I was excited to meet the librarians and families when presenting at three branches of the San Francisco Public Library. Below is the Portola Branch. I also presented at the Main Branch and the Ortega Branch.


It was a fantastic trip. A highlight was climbing Mount Tamalpais 
with our daughter, Bethany, and her boyfriend, Andy.







No comments:

Post a Comment