Friday, October 4, 2013



Recap of the Summer: 

It was a busy summer with many book events 
launching The Eye of the Whale on both coasts.


MAINE


In July, I drove up to Maine and joined 39 other authors at the Books in Boothbay Festival. I was one of four authors asked to give a presentation about The Eye of the Whale. Here I am with writers Martha White and Sandra Dutton (in the hat). Martha, who is EB White's granddaughter, edited a book of EB's essays on the dogs in his life titled: EB White on Dogs (also a Tilbury book). Sandra wrote Martha Mae and the Gospel Truth and many other children's books.



I also presented at the Portland Children’s Museum and had a book signing at the Maine Coast Bookstore in Damariscotta. A highlight was being interviewed on Portland’s local news program: 207.

 Here are some of the children at the Portland Children's Museum posing with the baby blue whale.


DELAWARE


My dear friend Liz Stafford and I drove to the Delaware beaches together and we had events at Browseabout Books in Rehoboth, Bethany Beach Books and Sand N Stone Nature and Sea Glass Shop in Lewes. At Sand N Stones, I met many volunteers with the MERR Institute (Marine Education, Research & Rehabilitation Institute, Inc.). Their commitment to saving marine mammals and excitement about The Eye of the Whale was incredibly moving and inspiring. Michele Buckler's jewelry and photos in her shop were beautiful. 

Here I am outside Sand N Stones with Michele (on the right) 
and Suzanne Thurman, Director of MERR.


At Browseabout Books in Rehoboth, I am giving a short presentation to a packed room.


The children enjoyed the craft project.
Here I am looking at the wonderful art that is being created!



At the Bethany Beach Books book signing, I am enjoying seeing our good friends, John and Sue Clifford. Years ago, John took me out kayaking with a pod of dolphins just off the beach at Bethany. I will never forget the experience of looking into the eyes of the dolphins several feet away.







No comments:

Post a Comment